Building your dream home to fit your lifestyle and needs is an exciting and rewarding experience. But with so many options available and variables to consider, it can also feel a bit overwhelming at times. Especially when it comes time to pick the right floorplan.
At Blenheim, we provide a variety of add-ons, upgrades, and options to accommodate everyone’s needs, making daily life easier and more enjoyable. Whether you’re a growing family or looking to retire, there’s a floor plan that will work perfectly. And our expert sales team is here to walk you through each step from planning through building to make the experience easy and stress-free.
Here are some important things to keep in mind when choosing the best floor plan for you and your family.
Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Floor Plan
Homeowners are increasingly reconsidering their living spaces and whether to remodel their current space or build new. Before making any decisions, ask yourself the following questions and take the answers to our sales team.
- What’s missing in my current home? What does your current home lack that you want in your new home? A larger kitchen? More space for guests and family? A patio or garden, so you can enjoy the outdoors? A dedicated home office, so you aren’t working in the guest room?
- What’s most important to me? Knowing the features that matter most to you will help you manage your budget as well as your lifestyle. An easy way to determine what's most important is to browse plans and see what you do and don't like. Looking for accessibility and easier home maintenance? Parks Edge, our newest active adult community, has a line of ranch homes, thoughtfully designed for 55+ homebuyers. Have a growing family, looking to accommodate extended family or just trying to upgrade your space? The Meadows offers 15 different floor plan to suit any lifestyle.
- Where will I be in 5 years? What are your plans for the future? Will your family be growing, or will you have an empty nest? Will you be commuting to a workplace, or will you spend more time at home?
- Naturally, it’s also important to ask these questions of your partner and loved ones. As today’s families are increasingly living in multi-generational homes, it is worth determining if this will be important to you and if so, asking key family members now about their future plans and needs, to make the best choices for everyone. That’s how to best envision what life might look like in five years and how to build the dream space to fit it.
Maybe you want a stunning kitchen and open floor plan for hosting picture-perfect holiday dinners with the whole family. Or maybe adding on a fifth bedroom, to accommodate your plans for a bigger family down the line!
Tips to Choose Your Perfect Home Floor Plan
Building a new home is the best way to ensure that you’ll be happy in your living space for many years to come. But once you visualize your needs, you’ll still need to make key decisions. Here are four important steps to follow and walk through with our sales team:
- Make a wish list. Collaborate with everyone who will be living in the house to make a list of new-home must-haves and nice-to-haves. Clarifying your priorities in this way helps you quickly eliminate floor plans that simply won’t work, and focus on the better candidates.
- Review your budget. Your budget may be more than simply the cost of your new home. It’s also important to include the costs of taxes, commuting, and other cost-of-living considerations, especially when moving to a different state.
Luckily, moving to Delaware provides a financial break in many aspects, from property and sales tax to lower cost of living in comparison to most. That might just leave you with more budget for a larger floor plan, interior finishes, future home decor or just savings!
- Consider your lifestyle. When reviewing a floor plan or a virtual tour, try to picture your lifestyle and movement patterns in your home. Will there be competition for the bathroom or crowds in the kitchen? Where will natural light fall during the day? Where will you place large items like a television, workout or recreational equipment, or workspace? Is there adequate storage? If you’re working from home, perhaps an extension on the den is in order for some extra room. If parents or grandkids are going to be visiting often, might you need a finished basement, in-law suite or ranch home loft?. Keep your day to day life and special occasions in mind to determine what floor plan features will bring you the most happiness and also make the most sense.
- Visit a model home. Naturally, the best way to envision a floor plan is to visit a decorated model home. When visiting , pay attention to the following:
- Envision your daily life in that space. While standing in the kitchen, ask yourself if this is a place you’d enjoy cooking. Sit on the couch for a while and get the feel of what it would be like to relax in the home. Take a few minutes in the bedroom to visualize your nighttime routine there.
- Pay attention to privacy and acoustics. While we all love the space and convenience of an open-concept floor plan, it is just as important to have a sense of privacy and quiet when you need it.
- Keep your budget in mind. Some display homes include premium features that are not included in all homes. Make sure you don’t fall in love with something you can’t afford or don’t want to invest in.
Our communities offer multiple model homes showcasing various floorplan options so you can visualize yourself in the space and see first hand how it will work for you.
- Consider the Add-Ons. After you have the idea of what your floor plan should be, don’t forget there will be many luxury add-ons on your “nice-to-have list” you’ll want to consider. Some tips to help you make decisions:
- Decide what will make you happiest.. When you walked through a model home or looked at pictures of a resale online or consulted inspiration images, what spaces and details drew you to specific homes? T. A bright sunroom to add extra light and space for afternoon reading or meditating? A front porch where you put those rocking chairs you’ve always wanted? A finished basement where you can put games and a bar and entertain family and friends? A luxury bath for self-care? You can design your happiness in the way that makes most sense for you.
- Future-proof your house. You may not need that extra bedroom or loft space, but adding a little extra room to your home may save you from adding an expensive extension later. With more and more adult kids moving back home, or family circumstances leading to multi-generational living, having some “extra” space can be a great investment.
- Perfect your kitchen. For many people, the ability to design their own kitchen is a dream come true. After all, it tends to be the heart of the home. At Blenheim, we’ve created an interactive kitchen visualizer to help you design and customize the kitchen you’ve always dreamed of.
With our award-winning floor plans, high-quality construction, and a huge range of options, we’re confident you’ll find the perfect floor plan for your needs in one of Blenheim’s thoughtfully designed communities of luxury homes in Middletown, DE.
Contact us today to learn more.