We all seek a peaceful, tranquil environment in which to socialize, recreate, and relax, where our names are known and our favorite hobbies are fully supported. For many, this desire is beautifully realized in Delaware’s country clubs, many of which date back to the early 1900s. Today we’re presenting five of Northern Delaware’s finest country clubs, complete with amenity and membership details.
DuPont Country Club
Officially founded in 1925, the DuPont Country Club has a history as rich as its name. Ever since the 1880’s, DuPont Company employees gathered in the Eleutherian Mills Mansion on the grounds of the Hagley Museum to enjoy after-work activities. These employees made up the members of the Rokeby Club, which incorporated in May 1920 to form the DuPont Country Club. Since then, generations have enjoyed recreating in the spirit of the club’s historic legacy.
Amenities include golf, tennis, fitness, and dining.
- Golf: The DuPont Country Club boasts three beautiful, 18-hole golf courses in the Brandywine valley (the DuPont Championship Course, the Nemours Course, and the Montchanin Course), along with practice areas like a chipping green, driving range, practice bunker, and putting greens.
- Tennis: The club includes 17 outdoor har-tru clay courts (9 lighted for nighttime matches), 3 outdoor hard courts, 1 grass court, and 6 indoor hard courts. 8 har-tru courts, 3 hard courts, and 1 grass court will be added in Spring 2020. Lockers and showers are also available.
- Fitness: This state-of-the-art fitness center is open daily from 6am to 8pm, and includes lockers and showers. Classes such as bootcamps, high-intensity strength training, high-intensity interval training, pilates, and yoga are also offered.
- Dining: Legends Pub is a social eatery that serves lunch and dinner. It includes a bar, lounge, and dining area; in addition to a casual outdoor dining area with a view of the DuPont course.
Membership Plans: The DuPont Country Club offers several membership options for a variety of needs. Call the membership director at 302-421-1722 for details on plans and prices.
Wilmington Country Club
Formally established in 1901, the private Wilmington Country Club has a prestigious history that lives up to its location in the Delaware Valley, surrounded by land formerly owned by Delaware’s famous DuPont family.
- Dining: This club offers a variety of cuisines through seven dining options, both formal and casual with indoor and outdoor options.
- Golf: Play like a pro on these championship golf courses featuring 36 holes designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. (par 71, named the #6 best course remodel in 2009 by Golf Digest) and Dick Wilson (smaller greens, narrower fairways, and more sand bunkers). A full-length driving range and a full short-game facility are also available. Committed to amateur golf, the Wilmington Country Club has featured a number of USGA Championships.
- Racquets: With 20 tennis courts (clay, outdoor hard courts, grass, and indoor), a squash facility with three international singles courts and two hardball doubles courts, and a state-of the art paddle facility, it’s little wonder that the Wilmington Country Club’s racquet sports were recently named the “Tennis Club of the Year” by the United States Tennis Association’s Middle States Section.
- Fitness: A full-service fitness center with group classes, personal training, yoga, and massage is also located on premise.
- Aquatics: Open Memorial Day through Labor Day, the club’s pool is a great place for the whole family to recreate.
- Juniors: With a full array of juniors programs, sport clinics, and events, the club offers a robust community life for members of all ages.
Membership: Learn more about membership here.
White Clay Creek Country Club
White Clay Creek Country Club is located on the grounds of the Casino at Delaware Park. Take a virtual tour of the scenic, 18-hole golf course. White Clay Creek Country Club is also an ideal location for special events, such as weddings, banquets, bar/bat mitzvahs, birthdays, luncheons, and funerals. Learn more here.
You can also make your reservation for a delicious brunch, lunch, or dinner at White Clay Creek Country Club’s award-winning restaurant. At The Rail Wine Bar and Grille features full menus including starters, salads, soups, sandwiches and wraps; in addition to a deck and bar menu.
Membership Plans: The course is open to the public, with flexible membership plans available for 2020.
Newark Country Club
Would you like to join a club where everyone is known and welcome, a club where you can enjoy golf games with group and tournament golf games, non-existent tee times, top-notch golf instruction, fine dining, and access to a beautiful pool? Consider becoming a member at the Newark Country Club, founded in 1921.
- Golf: With an 18-hole layout designed by Winfred Reid, Newark Country Club’s championship golf course allows you to play 3, 6, 9, or 18 holes, depending on your schedule. Sub-four-hour rounds are the norm. A pro shop and golf instruction are also available.
- Dining: With three unique dining rooms (including a ballroom) the skilled culinary team at this club caters to any occasion, from casual to elegant, as well as formal special events like business meetings, wedding receptions, graduation parties, proms, Christmas parties, etc.
- Pool: The club’s tranquil pool and snack bar are a great place for family and friends to gather to enjoy poolside social events and summer fun.
Memberships: From Single to Family Golf Memberships and a variety of Social Memberships, the Newark Country Club offers options for all. Learn more here.
Wild Quail Golf and Country Club
Camden Wyoming, DE
While technically the Wild Quail Golf and Country Club in a little further south in the state, it was voted number 1 in Kent County by the readers of the Dover Post for 2019, making it a local favorite.
- Golf: From ladies golf to junior golf to golf lessons, the Wild Quail course has something for all. Click here to peruse pictures and scorecard details of the club’s 18-hole, championship golf course.
- Clubhouse: The clubhouse offers both a lunch and a dinner menu, as well as several special events.
- Pool: Families may enjoy a seasonal Wild Quail pool membership with access to the club’s snack shack for $499; see more options here.
- Tennis: Learn tennis from Jeff Pickering, USPTA Elite and PTR Certified Professional. Private and group lessons available.
- Events/Catering: The Wild Quail Golf and Country Club is also known for its events and catering, including wedding ceremonies, receptions, rehearsal dinners, banquets, business events, and more.
Memberships: Memberships are $260/month for family golfers and $240/month for single golfers. Members have access to unlimited golf, the pool, tennis, and the clubhouse, and they also enjoy no cart fees. See more information here.